Monday, May 28, 2007

One Year Ago...



May 28, 2006 was probably one of the scariest days of my life. We got a call from the NICU at 4am telling us that Lauren was extremely sick and that we needed to get to the hospital. Once there they explained to us that Lauren had a very serious infection call NEC and that we were very close to losing her. They told us that they had pretty much done all that they could and that we would just have to wait and see what the day had in store for her.

I remember sitting by Lauren's bed, she had been moved from her isolette and was under warmers, had IV's from her head to her toes, literally (well feet), and was back on oxygen. She was having apneas and brady's left and right. Each time her little heart slowed down or her breathes shallowed I wondered if that might be it, if she would ever recover. I remember wondering if I would ever get to see my little girl grow up, if I would ever get to see what a pretty little girl she would grow into. I sat there telling her all about life on the outside of the NICU. That if she could only get through this mess, what her little life had in store for her. I told her about silly things like her bedroom that was all ready for her and about the amazing things, like all of the special people who were pulling for her and I made Patrick promise her lots of shoes and trips to Disney World (its the little things you know). Most of all, I told her how she was all I had ever wanted and that for as long as I could remember, I had always dreamed of having a little girl. I just needed her to fight this infection and stay strong. I could not imagine losing her.

Days passed, hundred prayed and she kept her end of the deal (and so have we!)





I'm so thankful that everything turned out like it did. I guess that why Jaxon's story is really hitting me hard today. And why a little girl named Livia will always touch my heart (she passed away on Saturday from NEC, the same infection that took her triplet sister about a month ago). I pray for Livia and Georgia's family who have no doubt suffered a tremendous loss. I pray for Jaxon's family and especially his Mom who will probably lose her little boy today. It just doesn't seem fair.

13 comments:

  1. I too, am feeling Rachel's pain today. I don't know what it is to lose a child or to even begin to know what it is to go through what she is going through today or what you went through a year ago. I am forever changed by your story and the story shared by the Wells, and the McConathy family and so many others. I will hold my two girls a little tighter today, kissthem a little more, and just thank God for the miracle of life - because it truly is a miracle. I will also keep these families forever in my prayers. Thanks once again for sharing and reminding me how truly grateful i am for my blessings - each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to believe that it was just one year ago that all of that as going on with Missy. She has grown into such a beautiful little girl. I sit here with tears running down my face as I thank God for the health of all of your kiddos and for Emmy Beth who is asleep in my arms. Our family is truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could never imagine... Going to kiss my sound asleep baby (3 1/2 year old) Madison right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you Lauren! Life wouldn't be the same without our Missy Moo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked 12 hours in the NICU today. My feet are throbbing now as I write this, from taking care of 3 babes today. One of them a 24 hour old 25 weeker. As I read your words, I realize again, that, maybe I have made a difference for the better in their young lives. I love your blog. I feel I know the babies. I could kiss those cubby little feet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind contacting me.
    Your story is beautiful and I have been following little Jaxon's as well.
    My name is Stefanie
    steffygreen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching you and Patrick suffer one year ago while we all waited for news on little Lauren was such agony. I remember sitting by Lauren's bedside after the surgeon had come by and thinking that it was just so unfair that she could be taken from you. We were lucky -we got our miracle and Lauren was healed and is such a perfect, beautiful little girl. The McConathy family reminds us just how lucky we are to have THREE miracles named Logan, Lauren and Lathan. I will keep them all in my prayers today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, that just makes me ache all over for those families. I'm so glad Lauren's story had a happy ending for her and for you guys. We count our blessings every day that neither of ours got NEC, how terrifying 3 little letters can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Losing three babies in less than three months certainly doesn't seem fair. But, sometimes, these things are completely beyond our comprehension. We have to faith that God is holding them in His hands, and that what this poor family is going through, is for a greater purpose.

    Thanks for posting their story. I checked in on your blog Friday, and have been following Jaxon all through the weekend. My heart aches for them.

    It's good to see that you are holding up your end of the deal. I guess that means we need to go out and buy our kids ponies. That was the promise that I made when William & Elizabeth had NEC. And well, if W & E get ponies - how can Carolyn not get one, too?? I wish I had thought of something like lots of shoes & Disney World.

    Yikes, I think we need a bigger yard... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those cute little feet! I am so happy for you all that she made it through. But it is sooo sad that little Jaxon didn't... I pray for peace for their family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so unfair that I sit here with my healthy twins and this precious family is in jeopardy. This plays out all over the US all day everyday. Thats why we walk. Bless Lauren's little heart. Look st those big girl flops. OMG. Look out Disney. Guinn trips are coming!
    Blassing,
    Shannon in Austin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie,

    What precious miracles God has blessed your family with (and mine). I am reminded daily through various blogs just how lucky my girls were to survive their NICU stay without any major complications. Being 25 weekers, it so easily could have played out differently for us.
    I really enjoy reading your blog and following your kiddos! I giggle at your nickname for Lauren....one of my co-workers and I call each other Missy Moo all the time:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What week are you guys going to DisneyWorld? We are going in September. The week of Sep 10th - 14th

    ReplyDelete

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Followers

Blog Archive