Thursday, July 26, 2007

Fire!!!

Well our day started out pretty normal!

Aunt Pammie came over and we played a little and then spent most of the afternoon running errands and getting ready for our trip. We went grocery shopping...


Lathan



Logan & Lathan



and then came home. Daddy ran back to the store to pick up some milk and Aunt Pammie started to cook dinner. Grammie and I had the babies in the living room when Aunt Pammie started to sound concerned. The tortillas for her soup were starting to burn and even though she had taken the pan off of the stove there was an awful lot of smoke filling the room. Then all of the sudden the pan caught fire (IN AUNT PAMMIE'S HAND) and the smoke detectors went off. The babies weren't impressed with the noise as Grammie and I ran them out the back door. Luckily Aunt Pammie knew not to throw water on the grease (I knew that but my initial reaction was to grab the water hose!!!) and instead of sitting the pan back on the stove she set it in the middle of the kitchen on the tile. The flames by this point were well above her waist high and the smoke had filled the downstairs. She picked up the phone and dialed 911 as Grammie and I ran around to the front of the house with the babies.

Daddy drove up in the middle of the chaos and even though the 911 operator said that no one should go back in the house, Daddy ran and got the fire extinguisher and was able to put the fire out. OUR HERO!!! It was a good thing that he was able to get it taken care of too, because at the time it seemed like an eternity before the firetrucks arrived (all THREE of them!!!) and we could have had some real damage on our hands if we'd had to wait. The firemen checked the house, opened all of the downstairs windows and doors and fanned the smoke out.

Grammie took the babies to her house so that they wouldn't breathe the smoke and could get a good nights rest while the air clears. We have already had to replace all of the air filters in the house (they were jet black) and we'll change them out again tomorrow. Aunt Pammie and I have spent the last few HOURS wiping soot from EVERYTHING in the kitchen and all of the toys, etc in the living room and dining room. So many things to be thankful for tonight (little things like placing the pan on the tile instead of on the stove where the flames would have touched the cabinets and quickly caught the whole place on fire); and of course we are thankful that no one was hurt.

Tonight makes me think that eating out from now on until the babies are able to run out the door themselves, is in the best interest of our family! (Not that I've cooked in MONTHS anyways!!!)


Lathan & Aunt Pammie



Lauren & Grammie



Lots of Firetrucks!!!





Talking with the fireman



The house was still very dark and smokey even after the firemen used their fans to blow the smoke out.



And that's all of the excitement that I have to report!!!

25 comments:

  1. hope your ok, fires are scary
    it was a good thing that you had other people there to help get the babies out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty!!! What a man!

    Flames waist high, huh? That's deceiving.

    Glad everyone was smart, did the right thing, and everyone and everything was ok.

    Love you guys. That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever the photographer!! Pictures of the firetrucks on your blog. I'm impressed.

    Glad everyone was ok.

    Aunt Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man...mom had called me to check the blog this morning and luckily was on the phone to let me know that everything was okay. I couldn't read to the end fast enough. My goodness your life is an adventure. I'm so glad everything is okay. Scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, Steph. I feel like you had another fire at some point in your kitchen, didn't you? I vote for the Guinn fam to definitely eat out. :) Glad everyone is ok. Good job, Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How scary! Sooooooooooo happy everyone is ok. Clean up from that is definately not fun and you will be finding soot here and there for months to come.
    Again, so happy no one was hurt! Hope you have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, that's a scary experience...luckily Patrick had a good instinct. I would have been totally doing the same thing you did...water water everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks goodness everything turned out alright in the end. Daddy to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How scary! Thankfully you had your family over and everything thought quickly! I have to tell you that I would pulled out the water hose too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad things turned out the way they did - scary!
    I have to write and comment on Lathan standing up in the shopping cart and leaning on the edge. My son tipped over a shopping cart that way and it was horrible! Luckily he didn't break anything, but it is a very common accident. Learn from us and don't let them stand up or hang on the side of a shopping cart.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH my gosh!!!!!!!!! How scary. I am so glad that you are all okay and that your house is still standing. Good thing for Patrick! You guys have way too much excitment in your lives, I am having trouble keeping up! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did the same exact thing last summer when I decided to be old fashioned and make stove top popcorn. My husband still hasn't forgiven me for it nor has Kelsey! I'm glad everyone is OK. I think we should ask for gift card donations from all your friends & family starting with Aunt Pammie so you don't have to cook! ; ) !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I my goodness! Thank God you are all okay! I am so sorry that happened, but so thankful no one was hurt and you sustained minimal damage. How scary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I for one, won't be frequenting the kitchen ANY time soon. It was definitely a very scary night. I'm so glad you and Mom were able to get the babies out safe, and that Patrick got home just in time. I can't believe that everything turned out okay! Never again will I attempt the crispy tortilla strips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for being such a wonderful sister and friend. You could easily have been mad, but you kept reassuring me that everything would be okay. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!!! How scary!!! Glad you all are okay and your kitchen didn't catch fire! Your incident brought back vivid memories of when I nearly burned our house down when Hunter was 9 days old! (I left my baby bottles boiling in a pot on our gas stove for 3 hrs while my mom and I took him to Picture People at the mall! Totally forgot I had started sterilizing those bottles! Came home to a pot of liquid plastic boiling in a burned pot and our entire home filled with white smoke!)

    You get kudo blogger points for taking and posting pics of the firetrucks and fireman! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad everyone is okay! That's scary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO SO Scary! I'm glad Patrick came to your rescue.

    You did the right thing!!

    Glad to hear everyone is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We aired out the house for 2 whole days (every window open and every fan in the house on). It was in the middle of Nov - so it was freezing. Then we took carpet deoderizor and put it down and vaccummed it up. That really helped change the smell from burnt plastic to a floral scent. :-) The smell does go away but you want to air out your place really well. I think it completely went away about 1-2 weeks after the incident (to where I stopped noticing it).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad to hear that no one got hurt. Could have been a really bad day. Count your blessings, the Lord knew it was a bad day to burn the house down! Give the babies extra hugs and kisses for me. Love you, Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  20. WoW! What a night. Glad everyone and your home is safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You and your sisters have a great bond. I read Pam's comment, and you can tell how badly she feels, but how relieved she is that you handled it with such grace!

    Have a lovely vacation! Make sure you have a cocktail or too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's it no more cooking !!!

    Glad everyone is ok...

    Oh and I got all my shirts..
    Thank You!!

    Hugs
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey girl.
    My husband, the fireman, was impressed with patty's quick thinking. We are glad you guys are okay. Quick fireman trick for getting the smell out. Charcoal bag cut open in every room and then go to the grandparents for 24 to 48 hours. The longer the better. Charcoal will absord the smoke smell. Good luck!
    Kimberly and the GA guinn trips
    www.guinnfamilyhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just wanted to say that I love reading your blog. I started reading after 23wktwins mom Stephi told me about it. Where do you get Lauren's bows? They are awesome. Another cool place to get bows is fiveblessedbows.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad that everyone is OK!

    ReplyDelete

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Followers

Blog Archive