Friday, April 6, 2007

Our Furbaby

On the day before our one year wedding anniversary in 2001, I came home from working at The Galleria with a tiny orange kitten. The Houston SPCA had set up an adoption center in the two windows outside of Neiman's. I was coming back from my lunch break and saw a sweet little kitten sitting on a BEAUTIFUL chair and I couldn't resist. I signed some papers and then carried my new friend off in a small cardboard carrier. We named him SpongeBob Orange Pants, Sponge for short and although he was a little crazy at first (actually ALOT crazy, Patrick and I grew very attached to our furry baby.

And he was just that, our first baby.

He was terribly cute and tiny (AT FIRST!!!)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Before the triplets came, Spongebob was treated like royalty. He slept in our bed, right next to me (Lathan's spot now), rode shotgun in the car and was dressed up for special occassions (I'm thinking he doesn't miss that part!).

Evacuating for Hurricane Rita

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sponge in a bowtie

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Spongebob the Pumpkin for Halloween

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

and one of my favorites, Spongebob in a onesie

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

When I went checked into the hospital at 22 weeks with the babies, I was devestated to have to be away from Spongebob for that long. (Aunt Pammie even contimplated sneaking him in for a visit!) I missed him so bad and couldn't wait to get home and spoil him more. Unfortunaltey that still hasn't happened and the kitty is anything but spoiled. Since the babies sleep in our bed, there is no longer room for Sponge. The babies like to harass and chase him so gone are the days of lounging in sun spots on the living room floor, he'd likely get his tail pulled off if he were to sit still for that long. There are now gates all over that prevent him from roaming freely. He still gets fed all day long (he wouldn't let me forget to do that) but life for him just isn't the same. Yesterday I got a good reminder of how neglected he is.

Spongebob is an indoor cat and rarely goes outside. Every once in a while, if we are on the deck, he'll come out but it isn't for long and he is skidish the whole time. So imagine my horror when I went downstairs Wednesday morning to get bottles and Spongebob didn't meet me at his bowl. I looked all over and then finally opened up the back door. I didn't see anything at first but when I called his name, I heard him crying. On Tuesday afternoon when I was taking the babies pictures, Spongebob decided to join us, only when we went inside, he failed to follow. He spent the entire night outside, IN A STORM with no where to go. He was soaking wet and understandably scared. I brought him in and set up a box with a heating pad so that he could get warm and I dry. I FELT HORRIBLE and I still do. He's fully recoverd and Patrick and I have both vowed to pay more attention to him.

Here he is all wet Wednesday morning....poor baby!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We're very lucky that he didn't run away and are going to take this as a second chance to take better care of him.

We love you Spongebob!!!

4 comments:

  1. Awwww! What a sweet post about Spongebob! I had tears in my eyes when I got to the part about being outside in the storm all night! (I guess it's the hormones in me... hehe). What a trooper he was! Our cat and 2 dogs also had to go through the dramatic wake-up call when Hunter came home from the hospital, the animals were all booted from our bed. The cat now sleeps in the laundry room and the dogs anywhere BUT the bed. I feel bad and I think they are still suffering from mild depression. But all my motherly instincts are now lavished upon my real baby, no longer my fur babies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Poor Spongebob. That is sad and sweet. My friends tell me that my 2 cats will become just cats instead of spoiled rotten babies when the real baby comes...but I don't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor SpongeBob! At least he proved his absorbency! I bet he will forgive you.

    It is hard when fur babies have to make way for the real thing. If he like catnip (my cats don't) maybe you can get him a little treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Sponge!!! Even Deuce feels sorry for him :(

    ReplyDelete

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Followers

Blog Archive