Saturday, December 15, 2007

Poor Little Lathan

Lathan has had a rough couple of days...

On Thursday we went for his monthly Synagis injections. His nurse this season is just awful, making a not so fun situation even worse. Last year, we'd pull up to the community center, unload the babies (all three needed them then), the nurse would take our payment, weigh the babies, take temps, get all meds ready to go and then start injecting. It was over in a matter of minutes and we were out the door. THIS year, both times we've been, we've had to wait for over an hour (with a certain little boy who has put 2 and 2 together and gets apprehensive as soon as we walk in the door) just to be seen. To make it completely worse, Lathan is pretty much maxed out for the amount of medicine they give. Two syringes are filled basically to the top and then jabbed (yeah...she's not real gentle) into his poor little legs. I guess its a thicker medicine because it takes what seems like an eternity to get it all in. This time, she didn't have the other syringe waiting. Instead she gave him one shot, had me continue to hold him down while she mixed up the other needle. Jabbed him again, THEN she needed to get his temp (really should have been done prior) and THEN she took my payment. Each time she came close of course Lathan starting wailing, and the other 2 who were once waiting patiently in the stroller had also become ballistic. Not sure if they were sympathy cries for Lathan or if they were scared that they were next! But anyway, its over now and I think that next time I can make it a little better by making sure that things get done BEFORE she has me pin him down (which I HATE to do!). I know its just shots...but he's been through so much, I can't stand to see him hurt!


Poor baby...we got out of there as quick as possible...pants weren't a priority!



So that was Thursday. Today we had sympathy ice cream - all was better!

Then tonight, when I was at the store, I got a call from Patrick. Lathan had fallen, there was blood everywhere and he was crying so hard he could hardly breathe. No one saw exactly what happened (though Logan kept crying Uh Oh over and over and over!). I came home and we (Grammie and I) took him to the ER.

Being such a brave boy!



No way would he let me get a picture of the inside of his mouth...this is his busted lip. Along with the lip, his front tooth has been knocked back up into his gums and he has a nice laceration beside it. LOTS of blood!



We were given an antibiotic to ward off infection and were told to see a pediatric dentist this week. We gave him some Motrin and so far he seems to be sleeping ok (just a whimper here and there). Looks like he's due lots more ice cream!!!!

14 comments:

  1. Poor, Poor Lathan! Maybe I should come read him a book!

    I remember when you couldn't even be around a needle, now you're having to hold poor Lathan down so they can stab him, not once, but twice...I bet you wish you were still afraid of needles so you didn't have to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Lathan! I hope he gets to feeling much better soon.

    Kimberly and the GA Guinn Trips
    www.guinnfamilyhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH! My phone was on vibrate last night. Poor baby!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless his precious heart...I hate to hear all that. Yes, he will definitely needs lots more ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor sweet boy!! Take him to Dr. Wheeler he is THE BEST!! His staff is so awesome!!

    I hope he feels better soon and mommy too!! Sometimes I think it's harder on us to hold them down than anything else we have to do!!

    Congrats on the new house!! It looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about Lathan's ER visit. I sure hope his tooth is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! Lathan has had a rough few days - poor baby. :-( Not to scare you but when my brother was 2, he stood up in his chair and slipped, hitting his front right tooth smack on the table and it pushed it part way back up into the gum - about 4 months later the entire tooth turned gray and remained that way until it fell out when he was 6. I'm not sure if you can google if anything can be done before you see the dentist this week but I'd hate for that to happen to Lathan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I know I am a nurse, but my back is quivvering....in case this word is new, it's not good...I hate to hear 'mean nurse' stories. You sound like me, my adult son told his wife that I was such a mother lion, and that I would "rip anyone a new one" if they messed with my children. lol I did not even know what it meant until explained, then I thought Yes, I would do that for my child..
    My granddaughter hit her babytooth pretty bad, it turned dark, but has lightened over the last two years..Give him an Aunt Bevie hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, poor Lathan. That is terrible! Is there any way to report Ms. Nasty Nurse?
    Sending lots of healing thoughts his way :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just an idea.

    You should make some Christmas shirts and put them on Missy Moo's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for the little man right now. I hope you know what a great mama you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor baby, what a rough few days! He's earned lots of icecream indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor little Lathan! I hope he starts feeling better and that his mouth heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katie did that this past summer. She now has 2 gray bottom baby teeth. Nothing they can do because they should fall out in the next year or two. Poor Lathan! Give him an extra scoop from us!

    ReplyDelete

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Followers

Blog Archive