Wednesday, January 20, 2010

London - The Day You Were Born


The day you were born...

I remember the night before my c-section getting into bed and looking at the three sweet 2 year olds next to me, trying to imagine how another little Guinn was going to fit into our mix. It was after 3am (the alarm was set for 5am) and I actually started to panic a little that we had made it this far and were just hours away from welcoming a new baby into the world. My main focus for so long had been to have a full term baby and I didn't really stop to think what would happen once that nine months was up. I took a deep breath and fell asleep praying for all of my babies...that everyone would be healthy, happy and safe and that what seemed like our perfect little family wouldn't be shaken too much with this new addition! This was definitely a moment in time where I wish I would have had a crystal ball and could have seen just a little into my future... I would have clearly seen that I had nothing at all to worry about! This sweet little baby wouldn't just fit into our family, but he was actually an important piece that we didn't even know was missing.

Literally as soon as I closed my eyes, the alarm started going off. Patrick got up to shower and I took some extra time to cuddle with my trio and to enjoy some quiet last moments feeling London move around in my tummy...oh how I loved that feeling! I had a million emotions all at once...excited, nervous, happy to meet my little man, sad that the pregnancy was over, etc.

We were late getting to the hospital (shocked I know!) so Patrick dropped me off at the front doors...the same doors I had been in and out of for months during the kids NICU days. It was so surreal walking in knowing that the next time I'd be walking out, I'd have a baby in my arms. As I walked myself up to labor and delivery and got settled in a room I couldn't believe how calm and relaxed everything was...very different from the two previous time I had been in that area (when I was in labor at 22 weeks with the trio before being moved to antepartum and then for the emergency delivery). Patrick found the room just as I was getting into the hospital gown. We filled out lots of paperwork...signed up to donate the placenta to a study...and signed up to donate cord blood, etc. I got an iv (almost fainted...three tries and lots of blood!!!) and then before I knew it, it was 8am and they were wheeling me back to get my epidural. They took Patrick to a waiting room and took me into the operating room. I was nervous about my epidural because with the triplets, the first one didn't take and they ended up having to sit me back up and redo it. The anesthesiologist this time though was very compassionate and promised me it would work on the first try (though I'm not sure that was something he could really promise). Once the epidural was in, they laid me down and we waited...and we waited...and we waited! Dr Kirshon's previous delivery had taken longer than expected and we obviously couldn't start without him. It seemed like forever (Patrick was stuck in the waiting room - couldn't be brought in until the incision was made) so the nurses and anesthesiologist started trying to entertain me. The anesthesiologist had an iphone and had me play pac man with him! He kept teasing me that I wasn't playing very well but considering I was numb from the chest down...laying flat on my back about to undergo major surgery that I was extra nervous about, I didn't really have an interest in playing games!

Finally Dr Kirshon arrived and seconds later Patrick was brought in. It was Obama's inauguration day and one of the nurses kept asking if I wanted updates on the events happening in Washington....ummm, no thanks...all I wanted was to hear my baby's cry! Some pulling and some tugging and then I finally heard it...baby London had arrived and boy was he loud! The triplets didn't make any sounds when they were born besides the very faint whimpers that Logan made...think baby kitten meowing... so I was pretty shocked to hear how loud London was SCREAMING! They raised him over the sheet so that I could catch a glimpse and then off he went to get cleaned up. Daddy followed with camera in tow but came back shortly saying that the camera was messed up. He said that when he pushed the button to take a picture, the camera would beep for a few seconds and then take the picture. Crap...the camera was on self timer mode! I tried to explain how to get the camera back in normal mode. My hands were tied down but the anesthesiologist let me use them to help Patty so that he could take some pics of little London's first moments.


Daddy's Self Timer Pics!







Whew...self timer off! London under the warmer being evaluated.



The anesthesiologist was talking me through the rough parts of the c-section while they finished up and kept telling me "almost time...they're about to bring you your baby" and then a few minutes later he'd repeat it. I started getting nervous because they weren't bringing him to me and it seemed like more people were gathering by his bedside. I overheard someone say "call the nicu" and my heart sank. I couldn't believe what was happening...he was a full term baby and I was not prepared for another NICU stay.

Patrick stayed with London while I was wheeled into recovery. I remembered the room from the triplets delivery and I was pretty much in shock that I was there once again without a baby to hold. Patrick brought me a picture the nurses had taken since I hadn't gotten to see him (besides the brief second when they held him up over the sheet) and I started to cry. Poor baby was crying in the picture and I couldn't imagine how scared he must have been. I just wanted to hold and comfort him. A few minutes later, his isolette was wheeled up next to my bed and I was able to reach my hand in and touch sweet London's arm. His head was under an oxygen hood and he had tears steaming down his cheeks but he looked so much different (healthier and bigger) than the trio that I knew he'd be ok...I just needed him to be with me. I was assured that he would be just fine with some oxygen and a little time to be observed. Panic set in though once again and I all I could think of was praying for the little guy to be discharged from the NICU asap. I knew the NICU all to well and worried that he would have a minor apnea or brady and be stuck in there for another day or two. This wasn't at all how I had pictured it and I just knew they'd find some reason to keep him.

When Dr Savrick came in to see me I begged her to do all she could to get him discharged (she was always our advocate during the triplets NICU stay). She understood and told me that he'd have to stay at least 6 hours and that they'd then reevaluate him. (Side note: London's respiratory therapist was one of Lathan's therapists who took really good care of him and got him through some really tough times. Doug remembered us and we obviously remembered him! And the receptionist to the Level 2 NICU was someone that was always sweet to us during our previous stay and she even sent a note down to my room, congratulating us!)

London under the oxygen hood








So I waited my required time in recovery, sending Patrick back and forth getting updates and pictures. He came back once asking if the nurses could feed London a bottle...he was hungry :( Of course I said yes, but I was devastated that I wouldn't be the first to feed him and even worse that I couldn't even be there. (All of my babies first bottles have been given to them by a nurse or occupational therapist...boo. At least I got to feed Lucy her first bottle!)

London's 1st Bottle





I watched the clock, counting down the min/hours until the 6 hours was up. I had been moved to my postpartum room and by my calculations, it was now time for me to get to hold my baby. I sent Patrick down to NICU 2 to get the scoop... he came back saying that London was indeed going to be released from the NICU but that he still had to go to the general nursery to be evaluated and that they would have to keep him for a certain amount of time (an hour or two) before they'd bring him to the room. I would have sobbed but I knew it would hurt too bad...instead I begged Patrick to go back and see if there was any way they could just let me see him. Luckily our family was there to make the time go by and before I knew it Patrick came in exclaiming "I have a surprise for you" as he wheeled London's crib up next to my bed... I FINALLY got to hold my Lovie. Oh it was heaven!!!! I could finally relax and enjoy my new bundle!






Wow...that was much longer than I set out to write. Kind of bored with writing but here are some things I want to remember from London's homecoming and first year....

* First, my pregnancy was so much different than my triplet one. SOOOO EASY! I felt great and of course didn't take one day of it for granted. I still cringe when I hear people say they are sick of being pregnant and that they wish the baby would come early. I was even nervous about scheduling a c-section at 38 weeks...I wanted London to get his entire 40 weeks!

* London moved all the time and the kids got a kick out of listening to his heartbeat (with the babybeats) and comparing it to their own heart "beeps".


* When we came home from the hospital London and I slept in the loft. I was afraid of sleeping in the family bed and being kicked (remember c-section!). I also wasn't sure how everyone would sleep together. The triplets were such good sleepers and I didn't want to mess that up at all. However, after a few nights I couldn't stand not being with everyone, so London and I joined the group. The triplets never woke up during the night (London never really cried in the middle of the night...he would just start stirring so I'd feed him and he'd go back to sleep) and in the morning when the triplets would wake up before London, I'd just turn on the tv, then turn off the sound machine and London would sleep right through it. Unbelievable easy!

* Patrick never once had night duty with London and I really never needed him to. Since I nursed London I didn't even have to really wake up to feed London and put him back down. I can honestly think of only one night last year, when London was teething, that he didn't sleep well. And even then, he wasn't crying at all, he was just restless and couldn't go back to sleep. Never once woke up the trio!

* London slept for the first few weeks/months in his snuggle nest right next to me. He now sleeps in the co sleeper...he has his own space but I can still reach over and pat his back or hold his hand if I want to.

* London sleeps until about 8:45 or 9am which works out nicely for us. He went through a phase where he liked to wake up early (7 - 7:45am) but I'd just feed him and he'd fall back asleep and then wake up with the trio. Right now, London is usually 2nd or 3rd of the group to wake up. 99% of the time Loggie wakes up first...he reads a book or whispers to himself until Lathan starts to stir. Once Logan and Lathan are awake, they can't help but giggle and London pops up, smiling, ready to join the fun. (Most days Lauren sleeps...in the same bed as the 3 crazy hyper boys...for at least another 30 minutes after they're up)

* For the first few weeks that London came home, I'd rock him every night for HOURS, letting chores go untouched but soaking up every minute of quiet time with my sweet baby. I'd probably still do that if he let me! Now I rock him to sleep but he doesn't like to be rocked for long after he falls asleep, he likes to be put down and stretch out.

* In the mornings, we usually turn on Disney channel and watch a show or two until its time for London's morning nap. Once he falls asleep, the trio and I go downstairs to start our day. When London wakes up we have lunch and play for a while and then ALL go back down for afternoon naps. Occasionally London gets off schedule but for the most part, his sleep patterns work perfectly with our routine :)

* London is very affectionate and personality wise, reminds me a lot of Lathan. He loves to cuddle and puts his head on my shoulder like he's giving me a hug. He LOVES milk (like Lathan), loves music (like Lathan) and can be shy (like Lathan!!!).

* I say this all the time, but he's a momma's boy! Always has been but my guess is it won't be long until Daddy will start to get his vote! The triplets, especially Lauren and Lathan did this too...super attached to Mommy in the beginning but then one day realized that Daddy can be more fun :)

* London has always been an easy baby...feeding comes to mind. He would take a bottle without any fuss, never minding what was in the bottle. Sometimes it was breast milk, sometimes formula, sometimes milk...he drank it all the same! (Much different from the trio who when we switched from formula to whole milk had to have tiny amounts of milk added to their formula to work their way up to entire milk bottles. They'd flip out if they tasted something different!)

* London has always loved his siblings and for the most part I think its safe to say they've pretty much enjoyed him as well (though we have had a few moments!). I knew this would happen but I still thinks its funny to watch how much London wants to fit in with the big kids. He noticed early on, when he got different cereal (London - Cheerios, the triplets - Honey Bunches, Mini Wheats, etc) or when I cut up his bananas but gave the big kids whole ones. He'll flat out refuse his "baby" food and wait until I give him whatever I give the trio. And he gets the cutest grin when he realizes he's one of them! This is totally in our favor for things like sippy cups...the triplets acted like sippies were poisonous until they were 2...London wants is one and wants a cup with every meal! I hope this "big kid" desire is still there when we start to potty train!

* At ONE YEAR OLD...London now stands unassisted, says and waves Bye Bye, says No No, Ni Ni (night night), Ba Ba (bottle). When I fix him bottles he "helps" me by opening the fridge to get the milk, opening and closing the microwave (gasp...yes we microwave bottles!)

I'll have to keep updating this as I think of things to remember. I know there's more! Have I mentioned how much I love this little guy!?!?!

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful momma you are! And some beautiful babies! What great memories to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun to read! I can only imagine what a normal, healthy pregnancy must have felt like for you!! Can't believe how much your babies have grown :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet everyone would agree with me that you, Stephanie, should write children's books, or at the very least articles or short stories for Parents Magazine and/or Readers Digest. I loved reading all this about the littlest guy but there have been many before that I think should be published as well. Your writing is amazing - articulate, loving and sprinkled with humor, too. Thanks, Stephanie, for all the memories you shared about London, and the trio before him. You are a wonderful mommie and we are blessed to know the children through your eyes, too.
    Hugs & Love, Christine :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED reading the walk down memory lane. I just can't believe he is already one! Wow. What a sweet little man you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you all still sleep in the same bed? How will the kids ever be able to go on sleepovers when they get bigger if they never sleep in their own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing post. Those memories will be so great to have written down!! London, you are one special boy!

    ReplyDelete

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Followers

Blog Archive